That Oprah. She has more money than anyone. Yet she always reminds me what a heel *I* am for not appreciating what I have. Her show yesterday was "moms around the world". Hannah was watching it with me so it was enlightening for us both. Some of the women (like the hot mom from Brazil- and I don't mean temperature hot) had more riches than they could even handle. Nannies, maids, drivers, all the goods. Brazil mommy was spouting how lucky she was to be able to spend time with her children. Yes...because someone else is cleaning your toilets and mopping your floor. Plus she is married to Brazil's version of Brad Pitt. That could go either way on the good-bad scale. I wouldn't want to be married to any form of Brad Pitt- even Brazil's. Thanks Matt.
Then, of course, there were the moms of Africa. That Oprah, she refuses to let us bury our heads in the sand and pretend what is going on in Africa is not. She shows us these horrible things regularly. Things that makes anyone with a soul uncomfortable. What she said that stood out in my head, was that those moms in Darfur, Africa want the same things for their kids that we do. They have the same hopes, dreams, and aspirations. Except they live in a refugee camp and can't sleep at night because someone might invade the camp and rape them or their children. Oh...and they don't know when they'll have their next meal. Or sip of clean water. They are lucky if they get one meal of grain a day. Yet, they hope the same things for their kids that I do.
Yep...Oprah knows how to make me appreciate that I have time to play Candyland. That I even own the board game. She even made me appreciate my crappy water and ignorant clean-nothing dishwasher. Even better than that, my daughter saw this same thing. Last night as we were saying our prayers, she prayed for the mommy that didn't have food for her babies. Yes, Oprah. We got the message.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment