there is a very, very fine line that most kids are walking this time of year. My six year old is falling off to one side right now. It's that line between being a greedy rat bastard and just being a normal kid who wants a lot of cool stuff. I like to think he is more on the normal kid side, but all I have heard for days is what he wants. My kids do not lack much. I hate to call them spoiled, but they have a lot of stuff. This boy of mine, whined at the neighborhood Christmas party because the Transformer he got in the gift exchange was a small one, not a big one. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die of embarrassment at his behavior. I know that kids are prone to bratty nature at this time of year, but I feel like by ignoring it and calling it "just being a kid" it makes it seem like that is OK to me. It is not. I lectured him when we got home and then again yesterday we talked about the spirit of the season, and how good it makes you feel to do for others instead of concentrating on making a list in your head of all the stuff you want to have.
I don't think most of it penetrated his head. He just nodded at me and then went back to whatever he was doing. Am I being a nag? Probably. I ended our little discussion last night by telling him if he dared look around on Christmas day after opening his pile-o-presents and say "is that it?" (isn't that every mother's nightmare?? Tell me it is, and it's not just me) I was going to pack up all of his gifts and take them to a child who deserved them. That struck a little fear into his face.
On another Christmas-y note, I now have a prominent twitch in my left eye. Love that. I'm thinking that's a sure sign of stress and I can't fix it until Friday. That, my friends, makes me want to twitch more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment