Thursday, September 28, 2006

Mean kids suck...

Mama bear instincts go into overdrive when I see other kids being nasty to mine. I can't help it. Both of my kids dealt with it yesterday and right in front of me- which makes it worse.
Hannah's class went on a field trip to the apple orchard yesterday. They all went to a park to play when it was over and she was happily swinging on a tire swing and I was talking to the mom whose little girl was sharing the swing with her. Then a third girl came over to swing with them. She hopped on and promptly started quizzing Hannah on why she had to wear glasses. Hannah put her head down and answered her back, "because they help me see better." Then the little brat face, snot head girl said, "well they really make you look funny. I wouldn't wear them". The other mom who was standing with me almost fell over. It wasn't snot head's mom. She, of course, was nowhere to be seen. So this other sweet mother said "I think they make you look beautiful Hannah. I wish I had a pair just like them for myself." I could have kissed her. Mostly because Hannah is REALLY self-conscious about her glasses. She hates having to wear them. After the sweet mom spoke up, Hannah giggled and was instantly happy again. I am a firm believer in letting them at least try to deal with things like that on their own, but I was having a hard time not stepping in and pushing snot head right off of the tire. I wouldn't have done that- but I wanted to. Why do little girls, even at such a young age, feel the need to bring others girls down? Irritates the shit out of me.
THEN...at Hannah's soccer practice last night. Justin was wanting to play football with one of the boys who was there. He's never played football and really hasn't even tossed it around much unless it's with Adam in the living room. Then it's just knocking lamps down and stuff so they don't get to play all that long before my mom threatens bodily harm if they don't stop. The kid who had the football was just kicking it around alone- no one else was even there yet. Justin walked over and asked him if he could throw it with him and the kid got all nasty with him about it. He couldn't have been but a year or so older, but he's looking at Justin and telling him he won't do it right and he should just leave him alone so he could play with the bigger kids when they got there. How does this kid know Justin isn't a total football stud?? He is, of course, NOT even remotely stud like and probably would've flinched and ducked if the ball came at his face (he's so like his mama that way) but the kid could've at least given him a shot. He was one of those kids who makes you roll your eyes anyways because he was acting like a total ass. Acting like he, himself was a football god, when he clearly was NOT. I'm guessing he didn't want Justin to be really good at it on the off chance that the other kids would come over and ignore Mr. holier than thou and opt for playing with Justin. If he'd have given him a chance, he'd have seen that Justin stinks royally at football. His playtime with the older boys was totally safe from Justin stealing it away. Still- once again why do kids do that??? Why do they have to make other people feel like dirt in order to make themselves feel better? What's worse is those kids who never grow out of it, and turn into brat face, snot head adults. I've known a few of them in my day. There is nothing worse than a kid like that who chooses not to grow out of that hateful stage. You know at least one, don't you? You've wanted to push them off of the tire swing more than once- admit it.

1 comment:

jennpom said...

be proud of the fact that you are raising your kids to be sensitive to others. Also, make Hannah feel proud of her glasses. We have always had the attitude with John that his hearing aides are just an extension of him. hugs, jenn