So for anyone following the ridiculous nature of our fish tank drama, the latest chapter is about to unfold.
For those out of the loop, let me quickly get you up to speed...
Justin had a fish tank 3 yrs ago. All went well until the blackout of '03. It was horrifying on several levels, one of which was the loss of our fish because the pump stopped running for so long (3 loooong days without power. Ugly for humans and fish alike) Apparently they didn't get the oxygen they were used to. Anywho, when we got new fish, one of them had the dread disease known as ICK. We didn't know this or we'd have left his fishy arse at the pet store. This started an ugly cycle of dead fish that we couldn't fix no matter how hard we tried. Fish were hiding from us behind the aquarium plants when we came into the store. So I gave up. Cleaned out the tank and put it away. When we moved into our beautiful new house, Justin requested that his tank go back up in his new room. OK. No problem. I cleaned it all up. Filled it, put new gravel in, new filters....all ready to go. We get new fish and within days they are dead. Seriously. These are not hard-to-keep-alive fish. They are GOLDFISH and we killed them within days. I have spent the last 4 weeks having water tested, adding new things, trying to get the water to an acceptable level. Finally I found the manager at the fish store and he asked me where we lived. When I told him, he said, "I live there too. It's your water. You need to go and buy reverse osmosis water at the grocery and then try again." That's right people, the water MY FAMILY IS DRINKING IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR GOLDFISH TO LIVE IN. Anyone else see a problem here?? Needless to say we are also getting estimates from water treatment companies for ourselves. The tap water is not the tastiest variety, but now we know it also kills fish. Not OK in my book. So, last night after putting it off for about a week, we went to the store and purchased water for the tank, cleaned the tank all out (again) and bought a whole new filter because our nasty water had turned the whole inside of the old one white and slimy. Now the tank is up and running. Tonight we buy new fish and see if the cycle of hell begins again. I feel bad for our test fish, I really do. If this once again fails and they die quickly, I am throwing the damn tank in the yard and getting a guinea pig or something. I do so much better with furry creatures.
Wish us (and our fish) good luck. We definitely need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment