poor Hannah.
You see when I was a child, my mama was a beautician. This, for me, meant that I was probably the only 4 year old with highlights and a perm. She had to practice on someone! She also could wield a brush like a lethal weapon. Because of this I have one of those heads of hair that can be pulled in 12 different directions and I can sleep through it. Dance team moms loved me. I was the only girl who didn't whine about those too-tight french braids.
Fast forward to today. Hannah has been wearing the same headband day in, day out for about 2 weeks. She loves it, so she wears it. I'm kind of sick of looking at it, so I think if I offer to do something fun and snazzy with her hair she will put away the hair band at least for a few hours. No. Not the case. She screamed and cried and it became a battle of wills that for some reason I wasn't giving up. When it was over she sobbed that her head hurt so bad....it was as if she was dying. The ponytail holder might make her brains ooze slowly out of her ears. Something of that nature. Now seriously, it was not tight. But apparently what the princess wants, the princess gets. I was seeing red so I jerked the ponytail holder out in "I'll give you something to cry about" fashion. My sister chose this time to place a phone call to me. After telling her my side of the story I realized immediately that I had become my mother. ***ACK*** I cannot tell you how many times as a small child I would think in my little head "I will never pull my daughter's hair like she pulls mine". In the end it was to my benefit since I now have hair follicles of steel. I didn't know that when I was Hannah's age. Maybe she'll thank me later??? I doubt it. She'll probably just share the horror stories with her friends. My sister reminded me of her childhood hair trauma with mom. She begged and pleaded for weeks to have bangs cut into her hair. She has naturally curly (it's beautiful. I hate her for it) hair and bangs will only look like pubes. My mom told her over and over again it was a bad idea, but Manda was unrelenting. Finally my mom decided to shut her up and cut some bangs for her. Only it must have been a PMS day for mom and Manda chose the wrong time to do battle with her. Mom cut those babies to about 1" in length. They were LOVELY. My sister has never had bangs since that day. We had a good chuckle about it today while we were reminiscing our childhood hair traumas. I know Hannah will have fun talking about 'the bad ol' days' with her friends someday too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment