Monday, November 06, 2006

i don't want to be THAT MOM...

I spent a long day on Saturday at a dance competition. If my husband was worried about me wanting to hop back into coaching and teaching dance, he need not worry a moment longer. Just a taste of the psycho moms at the competition on Sat. was all the reminder I needed for the reasons I quit doing it in the first place. One mother has a daughter who is in FOURTH GRADE. She spent the entire day hounding her about a back walkover. The poor girl was not comfortable doing it, but mom wanted it in the routine. Did I mention this mere child is in FOURTH GRADE?? I want to pull this woman aside and tell her that psycho bitches like her are the ones who have daughters who walk out on the floor to compete and freeze because of stress. Who wants to stress out their kid that much?? She was almost in tears over it. She has YEARS to perfect and perform a back walkover for the judges. These are also the kids that are oooozing talent and walk away from it when they are at the top of their game because they have had it with their parent's constant pushing. I've seen it everywhere- at soccer, football, pretty much anything sports oriented. I just know for myself, I have never coached a team that didn't have at least one of those moms. I don't have the patience to deal with them anymore. Nor do I have the ability to bite my tongue long term and not tell them they are being freakish. I would not make a good dance coach anymore :)
The beauty of it is, I will never be that mom. I have seen too much of what it does to the kids when their parents aren't standing there. When they come to me hysterical because they just can't take it anymore. I never want that for my kids. They will do what they want to do. I may do some gentle prodding, but that's it. Everyone thinks I'll flip out if Hannah doesn't dance. Nope. If she decides in a few years that she isn't having fun, then she's done. That's what it's all about to me. If she has fun with it for years like I did, then I am happy. If she wants to play soccer for the rest of her life, I'm happy too. Psycho mom, I ain't.

2 comments:

~*~*just_ j*~*~ said...

UGH, don't you hate psycho moms? There were psycho parents in Sidney's soccer team, too. It's like, the kids are in 1st grade, cut them some slack if they don't take the ball and run for a goal! I don't understand putting that much pressure on your kid.

jennpom said...

I so agree. I sometimes feel like psycho parents should get a taste of their own medicine.