real or fake? Feel free to weigh in on this issue. Most people lean very much one way or the other. There are few folks in the world who would answer "ehhh...whatever works" to the tree question.
I grew up in a live tree home. Love the smell, the hunt, the trying to make it stand straight. Hate the mess. The very first year Matt and I were together (living in sin? yes we were thankyouverymuch) we trudged off to get our tree. We got a nice one, spent an obscene amount of time cussing at it because it was crooked, finally got it 'straight enough', decorated it, went to bed. At about 2 a.m. we heard a large crash. Of course it was the tree. I threw that bitch out the window (not really- I think I took it to the dumpster) and we promptly bought a fake tree. And shock of all shocks, my live tree loving self found that I could also love a fake tree. And love it we did, for 11 yrs. It died last year. We have done a little looking this year for a new, pre-lit model. When out of the mist comes Justin's little voice... "maybe could we get a real tree? From the woods? With a trunk instead of a pole?" He had me at 'maybe'. I have been coaxing Matt all week now. I think I wore him down today. A co-worker shared a tid-bit about a tree farm about 20 min from here that promises old-fashioned family fun. Hiking into the woods and cutting it down, then tagging it and hauling it in. They also promise a lodge and hot cocoa. The Clark W. Griswold in Matt was intensely interested. So I do believe that come this Saturday late afternoon that Family Mohler will be hiking into the woods with cocoa in hand for our very first real tree with a real trunk instead of a pole. Wish us luck. If a squirrel comes flying out of it once we get it home, you'll all be the first to know.
I grew up in a live tree home. Love the smell, the hunt, the trying to make it stand straight. Hate the mess. The very first year Matt and I were together (living in sin? yes we were thankyouverymuch) we trudged off to get our tree. We got a nice one, spent an obscene amount of time cussing at it because it was crooked, finally got it 'straight enough', decorated it, went to bed. At about 2 a.m. we heard a large crash. Of course it was the tree. I threw that bitch out the window (not really- I think I took it to the dumpster) and we promptly bought a fake tree. And shock of all shocks, my live tree loving self found that I could also love a fake tree. And love it we did, for 11 yrs. It died last year. We have done a little looking this year for a new, pre-lit model. When out of the mist comes Justin's little voice... "maybe could we get a real tree? From the woods? With a trunk instead of a pole?" He had me at 'maybe'. I have been coaxing Matt all week now. I think I wore him down today. A co-worker shared a tid-bit about a tree farm about 20 min from here that promises old-fashioned family fun. Hiking into the woods and cutting it down, then tagging it and hauling it in. They also promise a lodge and hot cocoa. The Clark W. Griswold in Matt was intensely interested. So I do believe that come this Saturday late afternoon that Family Mohler will be hiking into the woods with cocoa in hand for our very first real tree with a real trunk instead of a pole. Wish us luck. If a squirrel comes flying out of it once we get it home, you'll all be the first to know.



5 comments:
good luck family Mohler on your live Christmas tree expedition!
We have a fake tree. I would like reall sometime but the mess on top of the kids' mess is not what I can handle. I think when our current fake tree is gone (and that will be soon), we will try real for a bit. It takes up no storage LOL
I vote for the squirrels! You should get a live tree! We never had one growing up and I always feel like something is missing...
Live tree all the way! And, when you chop down your own, they're really not a mess at all...til you gotta haul them to the curb. Just don't forget to water it! Have a great time! We'll wait a few more weeks at our house :o)
You're trying to turn Matt into Clark Griswold, aren't you?!? Just for that, I'm sending you a squirrel.
I like our fake tree, it's fiber-optic and has white lights, plus it's huge and it would cost us a mint to get a real tree this big. If I want real tree smell, I buy pine scented air freshener...or I just go outside. Our development is a former Christmas tree farm, lots o' pine scent out there.
Have fun at the tree farm...maybe bring some brandy for Clark's coffee, he'll probably need it after searching down, cutting and hauling a tree. :)
Post a Comment