Friday, April 27, 2007

independence...

each of my children has gone through this stage. With Justin I was still a control freak (well more of one anyway) and I had a hard time letting him do things "by mineself". I knew it would cause a huge mess. With Hannah I loosened grip a little because she would throw a huge fit and scream unless I let her do it. Whatever. Now, that Ry is shifting into the stage I just let go of the reigns. Because, frankly? I'm tired. Does he make a mess? But of course. It's his job. So far this morning he has wanted 2,3,4 more waffles. He counts like that every time he wants more. "I want 2, 3, 4 more mama!" And it's so cute! He wants to get the waffles out of the freezer but as he's trying to get them out they crumble. Mess #1. Then he wants to put them in the toaster. He brings what is leftover to the garbage and spills 1/2 of it on the floor. Waffle pieces and syrup = mess #2. Then he brings his cup of chocolate milk to the sink. And misses. Mess # 3. But instead of freaking out, I'm just happy that he's trying to bring his dishes to the sink without being reminded 12 times like his older sibs.
Of course during the day I hear nothing but "No! **I** do it!". Well, that and the strains of the different Star Wars songs that he hums ALL DAY LONG. But all I can think about is how he has gone from baby to kid-like in a matter of a few weeks. Like putting on a pair of undies has suddenly changed his attitude. He doesn't want his Spiderman fork anymore. He wants the "big fork". I guess this means I can soon clean out the section of our silverware drawer that has housed our kid-sized forks and spoons for 7 yrs now.
It's good and bad. He's the last one to enter into the independence phase. The last one.

No comments: