Tuesday, March 20, 2007

whatever you do, don't look down...

a little more on the serious side of life. How many times are you driving down the road, minding your own business and your cell phone rings so you lean over to pick it up? Or you want to switch CDs or movies for the chiclets, or grab something rolling around between your feet? So you glance down for a split second and when you glance back up you've crossed the median. Your heart stops for a split second and you thank God that there wasn't a monster SUV or a semi on the other side, as you jerk your car back into your lane. Admit it, we all do it. Today, a co-worker of my dad's is praying for the life of his 17 year old son because his son took his eyes off the road for a split second and when he glanced back up there was a Suburban staring back at him. And he couldn't jerk back into his lane fast enough. Last I heard he was clinging to life and his parents were told that if he doesn't make a marked improvement in the next 24 hrs they should consider pulling the plug on his young life. How's that for a punch in the gut? It isn't even your child and it makes you feel sick, doesn't it?
I can't even bear to let my brain go there. I have to cling to hope that nothing of the sort will ever happen to my kids because, seriously? I am not the person who could keep going on through a disaster like that. I would crumble if something horrible ever happened to one of my kids. Or a family member, or friend. I would crumble. So please, say a prayer for Joel's son. Pray that his parents don't have to make that decision and that he improves over the rest of today and tomorrow. And for my mental stability, promise me you won't look down while driving. Keep your eyes on the road. It's a scary place out there folks.

2 comments:

~*~*just_ j*~*~ said...

Oh man, my thoughts are with Joel's son and family. That is a horrible tragedy.
I tell you, I used to do that when the kiddos were younger, one hand on the wheel, the other searching the backseat for a dropped Nuk. I stopped several years ago. Now if the kids ask for anything, I tell them that they have to wait until we stop. I'd watched a woman on the freeway, digging around in the backseat while going 55+mph and she drove her car into the ditch. That made me think about what could happen to me and the kiddos. Driving is scary enough when you're not distracted. I sure hope his parents don't have to make that decision.

lndmxwll said...

I'm in a chair for 6 months looked back at traffic looked back ran into stopped car. Thank God granddaughter 3 yr not in car left at home with older brother last minute. Pray for Joel's family.