life is full of choices. Some good, some bad. Parenthood is all about them. Each choice has a consequence and you have to wager the choice/consequence battle in your head multiple times every day. A very wise mama bear (my own) told me long ago that I needed to choose my battles wisely. In my former life, I refused to lose a battle. In this life, this mama life I lead now, I must lose the occasional battle. It is a thing that eats at me a lot. I'm not one to give up power struggles or control easily. However when faced with 3 small children, my life would be hell if I didn't give up control once in awhile. So sometimes, when everything in my brain is screaming "NO!!" I have to say yes. It's not easy. Yesterday Hannah and her pack of buddies wanted to make gloop. With mud. Although I was sure of the consequence, I said OK. ~~Mistake!~~ RED FLAG!~~ Turn back!~~ I'm certain they had fun, but what I had to clean up last night was so far from fun, I couldn't see the fun lining anywhere. Hannah is the child I choose battles with most often. She is my only girl and my middle child, so the deck is very stacked against us. I knew yesterday if I listened to my gut and said "hells no" when she asked to make gloop (and at least she asked) it would turn into a WWIII tragedy. It's just her way. So instead, I said yes and cleaned up the mess later, all the while telling her if it ever happened again, she'd be the one cleaning up the mess. Only in my head I know making her clean up the mess would only cause an even bigger mess. Hence, a battle I will never win. I HATE that.
But...in this mama life I lead, sometimes I have to say yes and act like a fun mom. Even though my gut always says "no! do you know what a HUGE-MONGUS mess that is going to make?" Mess can be cleaned up later. Mama life is all about fun and messes. And loss of control. It makes me twitch just thinking about it :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment