Monday, March 31, 2008

offering up my stupidity...

for your utter enjoyment. Follow along on my little journey. Ryan is going to be 4 in about a week. He's not a small child. Last fall we decided he needed a real bed. He'd been sleeping in the crib/daybed so he wasn't locked in a crib, but he was too big for it. Last fall he was too big for it. Still with me? Good. I have a wonderful, thrifty friend who told me to watch garage sales for twin beds. I suck at garage sale-ing, but one day one of our neighbors happened to be having one and as I drove by, I spotted a cute bed. I called Matt and told him to go have a look at it and see how much they wanted. He went. It was $20 and in great shape. I believe he talked them down to $15. Done. Except, it sat in the garage ALL WINTER LONG. I wanted to paint it white because Ry's dresser is bright white. Last week I noticed that the poor child was literally balled up sleeping in his toddler size bed. It was just this side of pathetic, so I got out my paint brushes and got busy. I stared at the bed all weekend as I was painting. No red flags going up, no whistles sounding off, nothing. Finally yesterday, I was satisfied that it had the right amount of paint. We went out and got a mattress, let Ry pick out new bedding, took down the crib, etc. Last night we had to do the final step and actually assemble the bed. For any of you that have fallen asleep at the length of this story and it's lack of anything interesting thus far, sit up, pay attention. We moved furniture around so that the bed would be up against the wall that I wanted it to be on. Set up the headboard and went to get the rails. The headboard was long and it covered part of the window, so scratch that idea. Move furniture around AGAIN so that the bed will be on a different, wider wall. Still, nothing in my head is sending up flags. We put the entire frame, headboard, footboard together and stood back. Then we stared at each other in complete disbelief. The bed that we have been staring at in our garage for almost 6 mos., that I lovingly painted for 2 days, that we couldn't fit on the wall that it totally should have fit on? Yeah. It's a double size bed. Pretty much NOT a twin size. Go ahead. I'll let that sink in for a moment. My own stupidity astounds me.
Needless to say we're going to some furniture stores today to look for a new, twin size bed.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

LOL...
I could use it, too bad we don't live close to each other. I have a double bed in Lorelei's room that collects stuff. She is still in her crib. I am working on getting her out but she is fighting every minute of it.