Wednesday, March 19, 2008

eating bon bons...

anyone who has spent any part of their life as a stay at home mama, knows the drill. You tell people, who ask about your occupation, that you're "just a mama" and they tell you how lucky you are. Granted, I know I am lucky. We live a nice life. Not full of luxury and top of the line gadgets, but we are comfortable and happy. And we can live our comfortable, happy life on one salary. I am blessed that we can do that. I have always wanted to be "just a mom". Always. I wanted my mom home for me after school and she had to work. I wanted to be June Cleaver- minus the skirts and heels. So I'm lucky. I didn't think we'd be able to do it when I was pregnant with Justin, but when we did the math it became clear that I was working because I loved being a vet tech, not because I was pulling in the big bucks. So I decided to try the stay at home thing and see if it worked. Then one chiclet, turned into two. Two became three. At that point, if I worked, I couldn't even cover child care. And anyway...I LOVE being home with my kids. I love being able to get homework done and help them with reading and things, and get all of the stuff done at 4 pm that would have to wait until much later in the evening if I had a regular job.
So what is my peeve? People who think because I stay at home, I'm doing NOTHING during the day. People who volunteer me for projects and positions because I don't work, so I must have all the time in the world. Dude...I DO NOT have all the time in the world. People who assume that since Ryan is in preschool, I might as well go back to work. Right, because that 4 hrs a week would allow me a primo job, right? I don't mind volunteering and helping out. In fact I love that I have the freedom to do so most of the time. But seriously??? Stop looking my way every time you need someone to take on a massive project that no one else wants to do. My laundry is out of control and I haven't vacuumed in forever. Because I am over-extended. This is a recurring theme in my life, but I'm working hard on taking a stand. I actually said no OUTLOUD several times last night to people who were glancing in my direction looking for someone to say "I'll do it!!" And it felt GOOD.
I'd love to spend my days lounging and watching Days Of Our Lives while eating bon bons. Well I'd love to at least have the opportunity to do it. I doubt I'd love it long term. But please don't assume, that's what my days are full of. I have a job. It just pays with kisses and hugs from my chiclets instead of dollars.

1 comment:

~*~*just_ j*~*~ said...

I was asked the other day, "So what do you do with your time while the kids are at school?" Now, I don't mind the question so much, but it was asked by another SAHM, who found out that I get groceries delivered every so often. Like, just because I have groceries delivered, it allows me enough time to lay on the couch watching soaps for the WHOLE two hours of free time that I have/day. I can spend more than that just folding clothes every day! Grrrrrr!!