Thursday, January 04, 2007

thoughts on pinewood derby....

there are things in child-rearing that i come across that make me insane. Some things I am mentally prepared for, others...not so much. One of the things I am mentally prepared for is watching my child lose at things because the kid who won has parents who do projects for them. You know the ones who come up with atomic bombs for the 4th grade science fair? That is one of those things that makes me bonkers. What exactly is it that you are teaching your child when you do a project start to finish while they watch? How smart their mommy/daddy is?
So, this year in tiger scouts we are being introduced to pinewood derby. Anyone in scouts knows what it is, for those who don't, the kids are building a car out of a block of wood and racing them to see who can make the fastest car. Matt spent the better part of yesterday researching how to (legally) make Justin's car fast. I had to politely remind him that this is (ahem) not his car, it is Justin's car. Justin has already chosen his body style, color, etc. No matter how much Matt wants a different style, he must be reminded it is no longer his turn to make a car. He already had his time in pinewood derby spotlights. So pretty much I have been forcing Matt to let Justin do his own thing. Matt cut the car out for him and will assist him if it's dangerous, otherwise he is to keep his mouth duct taped shut. Because of this, I know we will arrive with our lime green car with painted on fire that is not sanded to perfection and look around to see cars that look like they were designed at GM or Ford laboratories and know that the scout involved with the making of that car did little more than play his gameboy while his dad did all the work. And that pisses me off. But what can you do? Other than know it will be a lesson for Justin, that sometimes that's just the way it goes. Might as well prepare him for the upcoming years of science fair hell, yes?
It is my supreme hope that Justin gets a thrill out of just watching his car roll down the track and that he won't care yet that he doesn't win. Not that I think he won't, but I'm guessing not all of the moms made their husband throw away the plans for uber-aerodynamic models that they pulled off of the internet.

No comments: