as I watched the front window drip with water today, I was thinking of the former owners of our house. Again. Because the water was dripping on the inside, not on the outside where it should be. It leads me to wonder if it has always done that and they just forgot to mention it. Sort of like they forgot to mention that our lovely sliding glass door was backwards and didn't quite fit. We hated them for that. For a long time. Then a little bird (OK not a bird, it was Carol) reminded me of the list o' shit we left for the new owners of our old house to find out on their own. Things like...
- you can't use a real blow dryer or you'll knock out the power. You have to use a travel blow dryer with less wattage.
- the ceiling may fall in, in the basement. The pipes used to sweat really bad in the summer when the A/C was cranked. That may have caused an issue with the drywall. I'll never know, but the new owners might now.
- you will freeze your ass off in the winter while sitting in the living room until you replace those 50+ year old windows. I was just there this weekend and I see you haven't done it yet. You might change your mind now that the real winter is coming to SE Michigan.
- you will not be able to control the temperature in the summer either. Those windows let in copious amounts of sunshine, which is beautiful, but also copious amounts of heat. Not so good.
-the cable hook-up in the basement cuts out when the dryer buzzer goes off. Sorry, we never could figure that one out.
- you will never be able to cook a full-out meal in your kitchen. You will curse this when you entertain unless you order pizza. Jet's is right down the road though, and their pizza works in a pinch.
And that's just what I could come up with off the top of my head. I'm certain there is more they are cursing us for. So, in our much newer (by about 40 years) home we find different problems, but problems none the less. Home ownership does not allow you to escape these issues. They call them disclosures in the legal paperwork you sign when you buy or sell, but no one REALLY discloses those type of issues. Or maybe they do. Maybe I should delete this now so that the new owners of our former home don't sue us.
So I think about the little issues I left at our old house and no longer hate the old owners of our new house. I would however like to know when our house will stop being referred to as their house. And when will the neighbors will know us as more than the people who bought the Smith's* house?
*look at me, protecting the name of the former owners. Smith is obviously NOT their real name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment