Thursday, May 01, 2008

happy may...

mine won't be happy until about the 3rd week or so. May is consistently known as "volunteer month" in this house. Although in all fairness to May, it is actually in APRIL that I do the volunteering, it just all happens in May.
I practiced saying no in the mirror. Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit people like me! I should be able to say it better than I do. Instead I get Catholic guilt (and I'm a watered down Catholic, Lutheran girl) because I'm letting people down.
However, I got better at it this year. Several people have asked me to do things, and I surprised my ownself by saying "I have too much on my plate already. I'd love to help you, but I know I couldn't give you 100%" And you know what? I didn't spontaneously combust! Who knew? I still have too much on my plate, but it was stuff I mostly anticipated having on my plate. After this weekend when the Preschool's Mother's Tea is over, I'll almost be able to have a life again. I've mostly maintained a good attitude this week (shaddup Matt) even though it was the busiest of my existence. Only a slight exaggeration. I think I only cried in complete desperation once. Compared to this time last year, that's golden.
I think I'm slowly learning that "No." is a complete sentence.

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

I hear ya. I just backed out of playing a show because it was just too much...I felt horrible, but they will find someone else and life goes on.