Wednesday, February 20, 2008

gym nirvana...

oh my. I have lived most of my adult life using my local YMCA as my gym. I'm not a gym snob. I only need the bare essentials. I've never seen the need for a big, pretty, expensive gym. I'm not a huge fan of exercise. I make myself do it, and then I feel better, but I still have to make myself. The Y that we used in Michigan was NICE. It was not new, but they had great equipment, a great staff, a super hot trainer...you get the picture. Then we moved to Ohio. We found out they opened a !! NEW Y!! right across the main street that our subdivision runs off of. A mere 3 min drive from my garage. Only, it was not so much a new Y as it was a REALLY old building that they inherited. But it had new equipment. All I need is an elliptical and a treadmill to keep me happy (or so I told myself) because it's so close to home!! So convenient!! Only they were supposed to start renovations last Fall and never did. It is a dump with new equipment and I despise the woman who runs the kid's playroom. She's always late opening it and makes me late for classes. ALWAYS LATE. Major pet peeve for me.
Anyway...our year long commitment with them was coming to a close and I was trying to decide whether I was going to continue to give them my money in hopes that they would somehow, someday have enough to begin renovation and, oh I don't know, start by adding a locker room. Did I mention it was a dump? Then last week my mom mentioned that the uber-fabulous gym she belongs to was running a special where she could add me to her existing membership for only $29 a month. I was wary because I knew it was too good to be true. Except it was true. I joined last weekend and ventured in today for my first workout.
To call it uber-fabulous does not do it justice. They have a cardio cinema. Seriously. An actual movie theater filled with cardio equipment. I worked out for over an hour today on an elliptical machine while watching Ocean's 11. Brad Pitt & George Clooney make you forget that your thighs are burning because you're on an ellitical machine. Because, you know, they make my thighs burn just with their mere presence. And the cardio cinema is only ONE of the 9 million amenities that are now mine to enjoy. One of my favorite things about it is the kid's playroom. It has a climbing gym inside of it. Like McDonalds- only clean. The walls are lined with cool toys and books and paper and crayons and and and....it is perfection :)
It is so wonderful that I keep waiting for someone to walk up to me and say "I'm sorry, maam. There was mix up and you have to go back to the dump you were formerly a member of. Buh-bye" If they do you'll hear my cries of despair from miles away.

No comments: