today was the first real day of preschool for us. Today all of the 3 year olds came- for most of them it is their first time away from mom, and tomorrow is the big day for the 4 yr olds. It was a little surreal watching from the office (and the hallway, and the classroom, and the playground) all of the things that happen during the kid's time at school. I got to be the one comforting the moms whose children had to be peeled from their legs, screaming and crying. Most of the kids where fine as soon as mom walked away, but mom was not. I had more than one tearful mommy in the hallway. It's all the stuff that happened after I walked away and went home last year. The things that I missed because I was at home, being a mom (probably cleaning toilets). This has been a very exhausting experience for me, mentally and physically. I've put in about triple the hours in the past 2 weeks just getting everything together and making sure it runs as smooth as possible. I've had many sleepless nights, worrying that I am going to miss something huge. It's my personality to make sure things are done completely before walking away. I'm lucky that school doesn't start for me for another couple of weeks, and hopefully then the preschool will be running smooth and won't require me to be "ON" 100% of the time. I actually FELL ASLEEP at 8:30 last night. And slept the whole night until my alarm went off this morning. A testament to how worn out I am, since I usually hang on until at least 11:30 every night.
All that being said, it is a very rewarding spot to be in. To get a giant bear hug from a 3 year old who I just met last week. To get a big thank you from a mom because I checked on her son 4 or 5 times to make sure his nerves were calm. A thank you from a teacher because I got done something she asked me to do.
The good is out weighing the bad right now, but DUDE I can't wait until the weekend!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment